[proFit-list] feature request--calculate-Data Transform with errors

pro Fit Support profit at quansoft.com
Mon Aug 18 00:06:57 CDT 2008

Andrew

Disclaimer: I am not a statistics expert. The following is based on a
cursory review of some literature regarding this topic. Maybe there is
someone more knowledgeable on this list to correct me.

As far as I understand, what you need is to calculate the "Prediction
Interval" or "Confidence Interval" of the interpolated values. These
two intervals differ in their definition:

* When you calculate the 95% Confidence Interval you can say the
following: "I am 95% confident that the average of all future values
yp at a given xp will be within the Confidence Interval.

* When you calculate the 95% Prediction Interval you can say the
following: "I am 95% confident that an individual value yp measured
at  a given xp will be within the Prediction Interval.

As follows from the above, the Confidence Interval will, by its
nature, be more narrow than the Prediction Interval.

There is no built-in way within pro Fit to to calculate the Confidence
Interval or Prediction Interval. However, out of interest, I have
prosecuted the topic further, and have found the following:

1) Calculating the Prediction Interval or Confidence Interval for
arbitrary functions, even non-linear polynomials, is not for the faint
of heart.

2) Calculating the Prediction Interval or Confidence Interval for
linear regression is fairly well documented, but only for data sets
where the error of the y-values is equal for all data points. In that
case, the standard algorithms calculate the errors from how well the
data fits the line, i.e. any specifically given error values are
ignored.

I have tried to write a pro Fit script that takes your data (in
columns 1 and 2 of your data set), fits them to a straight line
(linear regression), and tabulates a list of interpolated values in a
new data window. The new data window contains height in column 1, the
interpolated value in column 2, and its 95% prediction interval in
column 3, its 95% confidence interval in column 4.

To set the start, end and step width of the resulting table, edit the
constants xpMin, xpMax and xpStep at the beginning of the script.

To run the script, compile it. Then bring your data window to the
front, and run the script from the Prog menu.

Best regards

Kurt Sutter
QuantumSoft