[proFit-list] Pro Fit and Applescript

pro Fit Support profit at quansoft.com
Sun Aug 23 10:49:29 CDT 2009

That's correct. The LM method needs to take derivatives and invert
matrices, things that can be sensitive to initial conditions. The
"Robust" methods tries to follow a landscape to find a minimum by
sensing the environment.

This offers choice and control: If you get singularities in LM it is
because your initial guesses for the parameters are too far away, or
because two parameters have similar effects on the function (or are
redundant).

In such a case, you can change the initial guess by hand, or you can
use the Robust algorithm to improve the guess.

The Robust algorithm will quickly deliver a better fit which can then
be used as a starting point for the LM algorithm (LM is faster).

Most often than not, the Robust algorithm may even already take you
directly to the best fit.

In any case, run the LM algorithm at the end, so that you can get
more statistical information on the fit (things like parameter
errors, etc.)

ivan

QuantumSoft                                          profit at quansoft.com
                                                  http://www.quansoft.com/