[proFit-list] alpha testers wanted

pro Fit Support profit at quansoft.com
Mon Apr 27 14:19:35 CDT 2009

Dear pro Fit users

We did expect Python to be a controversial issue, but it was not a
decision that we took lightly. The language that we were to adopt had
to fulfill the following criteria:

1) The language should be available on a default MacOS without the
need to install any special software.

2) The language should provide a convenient mechanism to pass named
arguments to functions. Think of a function such as PlotData, which
has nearly 100 possible arguments, such as the color of the plot, the
line style, the point style, etc. etc. In a language that does not
support named arguments, such as C, you would have to pass all 100 of
them each time you call PlotData. A call to PlotData would e.g. look
as follows:

  PlotData(scatterPlot, 1, 2, 0, FrontWindow, true, true, false, 0, 1,
0, 1, 0, 1, linScaling, linScaling, linScaling, ...etc)

With named arguments, you only pass the arguments whose default values
you want to change, such as
  PlotData(xColumn 1, yColumn 2)

3) It should be possible to integrate the language into our built-in
debugger. therefore, the language should provide a reasonably easy to
use mechanism to obtain the names and values of variables, to set
breakpoints, etc.

4) The language should be such that it is at least difficult to make
pro Fit crash or hang.

5) The language should be suited for scientific use, should have a
large base of users in scitech and there should be a large pool of
readily available scitech software for it.

When evaluating the languages, we did not have any bias ourselves. (In
fact, personally, I do not really adore Python's indentation-based
syntax, but after having worked with it for some time I see that it
does have its advantages.)

Basically, the languages fulfilling criteria 1 through 4 are Python,
Ruby, JavaScript, Apple Script and PHP. In addition, Python excels in
criterion 5 (it supports a rich math library, complex numbers, and
there are very powerful packages for numerical analysis, such as numpy
(which is installed by default in MacOS 10.5) and scipy). Ruby was
close, but definitely second, and Java Script also had its appeal
because it is bound to see some major speed optimizations in the near
future. (PHP is too web centric in our view, and Apple Script provides
poor numerical capabilities and is slowish.)

When integrating Python into pro Fit, we redesigned the pro Fit
scripting architecture in such a way that most of the application is
agnostic of the actual scripting language in use, with a defined
interface between pro Fit and the scripting language. Hence, the
integration of a third language in the future should be much easier.
Therefore, if you provide us with good reasons to integrate a further
scripting language, we may consider this. However, first we will first
work on optimizing the Python and Pascal scripting.

And please, as mentioned by Chris, do not start a language war here.
There are enough of these out there.

Regards

Kurt Sutter
QuantumSoft