[proFit-list] Plotting Large Datasets

Beveridge, Andrew Cameron acbev at lanl.gov
Wed Mar 23 12:11:34 CDT 2016

Maybe it is my computer or my OS X version, but plotting large data sets in pro Fit, version 6 or 7, gives spinning beach balls and constant crashes.

Attached is a crude program that hopefully someone can improve to remedy the problem. It would be nice if this was "built-in" to pro Fit, in a much more elegant way than here. (Maybe it is already built-in and I cannot find it.)

How the program works:
1.) Pick a y-column
2.) Give the width in pixels of your graph
3.) The program will "bin" your data into min/max numbers depending on the size of your plot and data set.
4.) The min/max bins will be rows highlighted on your dataset.
5.) Choose Plot Selected Data only
6.) You should now have a plot that resembles the original dataset with a much smaller CPU load.

It would be nice if this was automatic to the plot, that is, if you rescaled the x-axis, a new decimation would occur. Maybe someone could add that.

Cheers,
Andrew