[proFit-list] Calculation of errors in fits

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Aug 4 06:06:25 CDT 2010

Absolutely right, Kurt. But - Saskia - pro Fit also makes it
exceptionally easy to do a more complete error analysis, once you have
found (usually by repeat analyses) what the errors are in the data
points. You simply select that option in the Fit. Using 500 iterations
you get a parameter distribution (for n parameters) and after binning
and plotting out you can have a good idea as to whether usual
assumptions (gaussian) make sense or not. Without going into the
particular science we were working on, you can see by inspection of
some of such plots that it is perfectly possible for distributions are
VERY non-Gaussian indeed (http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/mabi.201000065).

The ease with which you can do this sort of thing is a major
plus-feature of pro Fit.

Kind regards

Arthur

*******
Arthur J Rowe
Professor of Biomolecular Technology / Director NCMH Business Centre
School of Biosciences
University of Nottingham
Sutton Bonington
Leics LE12 5RD