[proFit-list] Numbers to Pro Fit drag and drop behavior characterized

Dave Sopchak dsopchak at ultracellpower.com
Tue Mar 10 23:38:47 CDT 2009

Hi all,
	Apple's Numbers '09 drag and drop behavior was bugging me as well, so
I whipped up a little application to see what was going on.

As far as I can tell, when you drag a set of cells from Numbers, say a
2x2 grid, it will do a "correct" representation of the grid in Rich
Text Format (RTF), with a bit of padding on the top and bottom. What
it looks like Pro Fit is doing is taking the RTF format and converting
it to "plain" format, but in doing this- I haven't had the chance to
follow up on this- yet, the grid of numbers is lost and it becomes a
single column. This does not happen if you do a drag and drop of a set
of tab delimited stuff from say, TextEdit in RTF format.

If pro fit went after the "string" part of the drag rather than the
RTF part of it, I believe everything would work smoothly. There is a
tremendous amount of stuff in the drag from Numbers, so if your mouse
feels heavy when you do it, this explains it ;)

I will be happy to post the app and the source code shortly, but for
now I'm tired and it's been a long day, but at least I know a bit more
about what's going on.

Cheers,
	Dave Sopchak