[proFit-list] feature request

pro Fit Support profit at quansoft.com
Wed Jan 14 23:27:59 CST 2009

Dear Michael

This is a very valid proposal. For the moment, there are two things
you can do:

a) The obvious: Place your files in a single directory and use a
Finder's window of that directory as a "project" window.

b) The not so obvious: Use keywords. Choose File -> Window Properties,
and go to the "Metadata" tab. There you can enter one or more keywords
for a file. Then, in the Finder, choose File -> Find, and search for
all files that contain the keyword you are interested in (to search
for keywords in the Finder, operate the left popup towards the top of
the Finder's Find-window, choose "Others", and navigate to "Keywords".
This should bring up all files associated with a given keyword. You
can now save this search in the Finder, and whenever you recall the
search, it will contain all the files associated with the keyword.
Thus, you can use keywords to associate a file to a given project.

As to b), note that pro Fit does some semi-smart keyword maintenance.
If,  for example, you have a keyword associated with a data window,
and plot data from that data window into a drawing window, the
keywords of the data window can be automatically copied to the drawing
window. (See pro Fit's Preferences, under the tab "Meta", for more
information.)

We are aware that the above solutions are not fulfilling everyone's
desires. In fact, we have internally been discussing the possibility
to add a"project" windows to pro Fit. However, we are not sure if it
would be sufficient if such project windows are merely "boxes
containing drawings, data and functions", or if such a project window
should provide more functionality, such as e.g. storing the
description of which data should be fitted to what function, etc. We
are presently undecided, so if anyone here has some thoughts about
this, please share. Don't forget, however: The more complicated and
powerful such a project window has to be, the less likely will it be
implemented ;-). So it would be useful if you told us what the
"minimum" requirements of such a project window would be to make it
useful for you, and what "optional" goodies you would appreciate it to
provide.

Best regards

Kurt Sutter
QuantumSoft