[proFit-list] feature request--calculate-Data Transform with errors

perego perego at fi.infn.it
Fri Aug 22 17:06:13 CDT 2008

If one wishes to get a true estimate of confidence levels for the "y-
values" of a fitted function at a given point x,
it might prove complicated enough (the only method that comes to my
mind now would be analyzing the
situation with a Monte-Carlo simulation). Nevertheless, for an
estimate of the variance of the y-value,
the general error-propagation formula might be used. Let's say your
fitted function is y=f(x,a1,a2... ar) where
a1 ... ar are the fitted parameters. The variance estimate for y would
be given by the matrix product M C Mt
where:
- C is the covariance matrix {r x r} of the parameters a1 ... ar,
whose elements can be obtained from the proFit engine by calling
GetResult(covariance...).
If also x has an associated error C can become a {r+1 x r+1} matrix
whose first row and column have the squared error for x as first
element and r null elements
(I'd say that, in general, your x value and the fitted parameters are
mutually independent)
- M is the matrix that represents the linearized relationship between
(x,a1,... ar) and y. In this case, it reduces to a row vector
containing the
partial derivatives df/dx, df/da1 ... df/dar calculated at the given
point. Mt is the transposed of M.

Best regards
Andrea